Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Family Recipes Make Me Happy!


Yesterday while I was watching my girls play outside, I leisurely read a borrowed magazine and drank tea on my patio (the life, right?). When to my surprise came across an article on family recipes. The one that especially caught my attention was Meat and Potato Pasties : "a savory pie traditionally filled with ground beef, potato, and onion" (Erin Bried, Real Simple;May 2010). The funny thing is that this special homemade recipe also dates way back into my ancestry as well.


After Chris and I moved 850 miles away from home (and everything homemade from our childhood was just a memory), we had to gradually bring all these recipes back into our mainstream. Today I decided to make a "Pasty Pie" (skipping the homemade dough part), and thought I would too share my version of the "Pasty" with you.



Pasty Pie:
makes two-8 inch pies
  • 1 1/2 pounds petite sirloin steak (cut up into small 1/4-inch pieces)
  • 4 large russet potatoes (peeled and cut up into 1/4-inch pieces as well)
  • 1 large white onion (finely chopped)
  • Parsley (finely chopped), salt, and pepper to season.
  • 2 deep dish frozen pie crusts, and 2 roll out frozen pie crusts.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine steak, potatoes, onion and seasoning into large mixing bowl. Then evenly distribute into two frozen pie crusts and cover with rolled out frozen pie crusts. Place both on large cookie sheet and bake for 80 minutes. Slice prior to serving. We usually serve topped with ketchup or gravy and a side of cole slaw. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I wanted the ritz chicken recipe from that article

Mary said...

That sounds really good too. I will run over the magazine tomorrow with my new Martha Stewart Living!!